Monday, September 26, 2011

Houston Tri, Mental Toughness and New Beginning

This sounds like its going to be a long post but its not.

The Houston Tri was supposed to be a redemption race for me. This redemption was derailed in the swim when I developed hamstring cramps that really bore their head as I was stepping on the beach to get out of the water. This needless to say drained my legs of power for the rest of the race and my performance shows. My effort was higher than it was at Austin Tri shown by higher heart rates but I finished a good 10mins slower and was slower in both disciplines on an easier course.

Mental Toughness
I wanted to quite during every stage of this race but I know one of my weaknesses as an athlete is mental toughness so I decided to keep going and persevere no matter what. I was able to do that and I am proud of my self for it.

New Beginning
Due to 4 out of my 5 races this year being affected by hamstring issues I have already contacted The Core Diet, which is Apex Endurance's new Nutrition Partner, to help me develop race fueling plans to try and tackle this issue. It is almost dumb for someone to spend hours and hours training and then have a race come apart because of ignorance when it comes to nutrition and their body's needs.

So from now on I would like to think that nutrition will no longer be a limiter and my true fitness will be able to show through and better performances are to follow.

1 comment:

  1. You nailed it man- perseverance is the key and not giving up! You did well and you'll be really dialed in now

    ReplyDelete